Monday, December 6, 2010

TWD - Translucent Maples Tuiles

Tuiles, that's pronounced twill.  It's finally my turn to choose a recipe.  The agony! I know that a chocolate recipe would have had delinquent TWDers heading back to their blogs.  Sorry, but chocoholics - and I'm one - will have to wait until the December 28th rewind to satisfy the craving.

I'm a Canadian and maple syrup is a totem of our lives.  Eighty percent of the world's maple syrup comes from Canada.  At some point, growing up, every Canadian child is driven out to a maple sugar bush to watch sap being siphoned from the trees, boiled in a large kettle and then dripped onto a pancake or snowball.  Heavenly!
I wanted to find ways to make tuiles work as a holiday cookie, so I tried some add-ins.  This recipe does not easily convert to a florentine, but I had fun trying.  I made some with red and green cherries and slivered almonds.  I made others with black sesame seeds and candied orange.  That was a delicious combination, but didn't photograph very well.
 If you attempted this recipe and things didn't go as hoped, if your pan turned into one large cookie, don't despair.  It's all in good fun.  Even the crumbs are maple sweet and buttery.
I can't believe two years have passed since I joined the Tuesdays With Dorie bloggers.  I never thought I'd stick with it;  I never thought I'd work so hard; I never thought it would be so much fun. 

Even on my most uninspired mornings, I turn to all your blogs and am lifted up by the food and family photos and stories.  I hope we all make it to the last recipe together.  Thank you all for spending Tuesdays with Dorie and me!

What unites cooks and writers is that their work flows from the river of human talk around a table. People cook to bring something to the table; people write to keep something that was said there. I enjoy the company of cooks, I realized, because I love the occasions they create for conversation.
Through The Children's Gate - Adam Gopnik
Seasons Greetings from Hindy aka Clivia!

Translucent Maple Tuiles
from Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan
pages 173 - 174

1/2 stick ( 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (I used Canada #1 medium for its disctinct maple flavour)
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, sifted

In a small bowl, using a sturdy rubber spatula or a hand mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup together until light in colour and texture.  Gently stir in the flour, mixing only until it is incorporated.  Cover the bowl, pressing a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter, and refrigerate at least 3 hours, or for up to 1 week.

Getting ready to bake:  Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 400F.  Have two unlined baking sheets at hand and, if you want to curve the cookies into their traditional tile shape, a rolling pin or a slender bottle.

Roll small scoops of dough between your palms to form balls the size of small cherries or hazelnuts, and put the balls 2 inches apart on the unbuttered baking sheets.

Bake for about 7 minutes, or until the cookies spread and are golden coloured and honeycombed.  Immediately remove the baking sheets from the oven, let the cookies rest a few seconds and then, using a wide metal spatula, lift them from the sheets: The best way to do this is to carefully work the spatula under a cookie edge, then push the spatula beneath the cookie with a quick jerk.  If the cookie crumples a bit, as it might, don't worry - it will straighten out on the rolling pin or rack.

For curved cookies, moving with alacrity, lay the cookies, a few at a time, over the rolling pin.  Transfer the cookies to a rack after they have set - under a minute - or, if you want flat cookies, just cool them on a rack.  If the cookies cool and stick stubbornly to the baking sheet, slide the sheet into the oven for another minute to warm them.

If you are making another batch of cookies, make certain the baking sheets are clean and cool.

35 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quote! I apologize for not making this week's recipe - I enjoy your blog so much and would have enjoyed baking with you. I think it's perfect that you selected a maple recipe to honor Canada! Your tuiles look great, and I especially like the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting this week Clivia! I'd never made tuiles before so it was a fun new experience. Mine never completely set for some reason, but I still enjoyed trying. Yours look great, love the variations!

    A happy holiday season to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED THESE! I never would have made them on my own. And you're right, the crumbs are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I'm so glad the maple recipe was there when it came time for you to choose, and your variations look so tasty. Thanks for the greetings and the cute picture of yourself. I intend to finish the book; just another year or so. I loved making the tuiles! Who would have guessed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to 'see' you! So glad you finally got to choose a recipe, and that something maple was still available. I really struggled with this one, but it was totally my own fault. I like all your add-ins--I never even thought of that, but then 4 ingredients was all i could handle! Love that last photo of the tuiles.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were spectacular! Thank for picking them, Hindy! I love your black sesame seeds/candied orange versions. Very creative.

    Thanks also for clearing up my confusion over your name, I wasn't sure if I should credit Hindy or Clivia for this wonderful recipe choice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post AND wonderful selection. I love these challenging recipes and especially the maple flavor! Your variations are suberb - and what a great photo. Congrats on the TWD anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great choice! I really enjoyed seeing what you made from them in the photos...and you look so cute and sunny in that nice photo of you, thanks for sharing! Definitely a repeat around here as we loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really had fun with this one! Glad you picked something different and challenging - although I wasn't able to make them this week, I'd love to try them sometime. And maple syrup - yay! I love Canadian Grade B (don't tell the Vermonters).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, It's so cool to see the girl behind the camera. Love it. I should have tried these because you make them sound like lots of fun. But first, I have to go look up the word "alacrity" because I have a feeling it's the secret to making these a success. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope Im baking the last TWD recipe with you too! I love this group and Im so happy to be a part of it! Thank you for choosing this recipe! I loved it ! ALl of your add ins look great! Your cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are very impressive. I did not make them because they scared me! I love yours. I feel the same way about TWD. Lots of great people on board! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for a great pick (and thank you canada for all that delicious maple syrup)! love what you did with the tuiles...i wouldn't have thought to do add-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for picking something that brought some of us out of our comfort zones. I loved the cookies even if they weren't as pretty as yours

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pick. I really enjoyed this recipe and I love reading your blog. Happy Holidays to you...may all your holiday cookies be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your post! And I loved these tuiles - thanks for such a great pick, Clivia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found my way here thru Kayte's wonderful blog anf hoppd by coz i found the name sooo cute!
    Now i see ur cute too and u have an absolutely wonderful blog.
    ANd am so thrilled to be here!
    Ur choice was wonderful and what lovely cookies with jus 4 ingredients!
    And u did suc wonderful things to the cookie,all delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry, I did not get to bake, this week. I see what I am missing.

    I was baking though, so very much, for Chanukah. I selected quick and easy so I would not become overwhelmed.

    I hope, someday to get to these. They look so pretty and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made an excellent selection this week! You add-ins are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, love all your add ins Clivia - they are a lot of fun. I also adore the photo of you at the bottom of the post - your T-shirt is fabulous. It's been great to bake with you too over the past couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect pick, Clivia! I loved the quote and the story of going mapling as a child. I went to summer camp in Ontario and we'd have maple syrup on our ice cream on the last day of camp. Thanks for bringing back that sweet memory. And thanks for hosting...it is a wonderful group, isn't it? Enjoy your special week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have done a beautiful, artistic job with the tuiles and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These were fun and unique. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The most fun pick ever - thanks Clivia! I had a rough start but followed some tips and figured it out eventually - we loved them! Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for choosing these! I loved these and so did my husband. They disappeared embarrassingly quickly, considered I made a half-batch (thinking we wouldn't be able to eat them all).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post, great pick, fun stuff. Someday I'll try them again. Ice cream and sprinkles it is right now. ;)
    Nice picture of ya, you look great and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. hahahhaa i have been pronouncing these wrong the whole time!! LOL who knew! thanks for educating me ;)

    great pick and very fool proof as mine turned out so delicious and crisp, despite not being the characteristic honeycomb shape! thanks for hosting this week! i'm glad i was able to join you

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my god Clivia,

    These are amazing, we would love to feature your recipe on http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/.

    Give us a shout!

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  29. These were such fun to make! Easy and quick, too. And with all those airy holes, very few calories, right?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the pick this week! It was definitely a challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look so yummy. I'm sorry I didn't get to bake with you. I'm having another surgery next week and have been busy with doctors and feeling lousy. I always enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  32. All your "twills" look fantastic! I didn't get around to posting these, but I made them and we loved them with ice cream. I was so scared of them, but they were fun to bake!

    What a wonderful quote. The online baking community is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved seeing your tuiles with their very clever add-ins -- yum for black sesame -- and I loved seeing in you in your Johnny Iuzzini t-shirt!

    It was really interesting for me to see everyone's comments. Tuiles aren't as easy as most drop cookies, it's true, and it's fascinating to hear people say that the technique takes them out of their comfort zones. What's best is to hear people say they *want* to come of their comfort zones.

    I love this group! For that reason and so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Remarkable! Its actually awesome post, I have got much
    clear idea regarding from this paragraph.


    my homepage: Diet Plans That Work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.