Tuesday, January 4, 2011

TWD - Midnight Crackles

Happy Third Anniversary TWD-ers!  Yes, the Tuesday bakers have been baking for three years worth of Tuesdays.  I feel proud to have been part of the group for over two years.  Tuesdays are joyful, sugar full, stressful, adventurous, challenging, satisfying; filled with learning moments, teaching moments, moments of frustration, moments of triumph.  Best of all - Community. 

If you're not a Tuesday baker but you read my blog, I hope that from time to time - today, even! - you'll scroll down my blog list, to the left of this post.  Each of my fellow bloggers is has a different take on the recipe of the week.  Often funny, sometimes in the face of disaster, I always gain from reading their blogs.

Now, on to today's recipe - Midnight Crackles.  Before it was chosen, this recipe was on my holiday cookie list.  What could be more festive than a crackle-topped cookie?  They got mixed reviews from the children, but were a hit with adults.  Yes, they look like dark chocolate, but taste of cinnamon.  I loved the combination.  Of all the recipes in Dorie's book that used cinnamon and chocolate, this might be my favourite.  It's at least as good as Cinnamon Squares.

In honour of our anniversary, this recipe was chosen by Laurie and Julie, who manage the Tuesdays with Dorie website.  This link will take you right to the recipe.  Midnight Crackles.

Dorie Greenspan also offers a variation on this recipe by turning it into a roll-out.  Her technique is on her blog, In The Kitchen and On The Road With Dorie.

I hope you'll keep coming back as we make it through the home stretch of baking our way through Baking from my home to yours.

17 comments:

  1. Nice to know about that roll out option. My dough was rock hard from a rest in the fridge. Pretty tasty cookies, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm, those look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cookies.

    I scooped mine before I refrigerated them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my reviewers felt the same way. Definitely an adult cookie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely trying the roll out version next time! Your cookies look lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like that texture on yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours have a festive little dusting on the top that makes them look very elegant. I am cracking up at your comment on my blog about you all being dessert-ed out for about a day and then getting over it...you are so funny. Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved them! Yours look so good! Happy 3 year anniversary to TWD and all of us!! Happy baking!:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your description of Tuesdays quite interesting. I didn't quite realize how stressful Tuesday was until I took a break for awhile. But you are also right about "community." I do miss that. Love the powdered sugar which highlights the crackles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look pretty with a dusting of powdered sugar! These weren't a bit hit with me, but the hits and misses are part of the fun of TWD. I'm looking forward to baking with you in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!!! Your cookies look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made these wonderful addictive cookies!! They are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these cookies. And yours look just amazing. So glad that you bake along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been a good run with TWD hasn't it. Have learned so much from BFMHTY but more from my fellow bakers. Glad you are part of it.

    Love the powdered sugar on the crackles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your photo of the cookies!
    I love our group, too. This is really fun. Nice to "know" you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post - this TWD community is really terrific! Glad to have met you :) Your cookies look wonderful, basking in the sunlight by the window.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You did a great job with these. I'm new to your blog and have just spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I definitely be back. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.