Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ebelskiver!

That's my brand new Ebelskiver mini-pancake maker.  My sweetest friend, Lisa, sent it to me for my birthday.  What is an Ebelskiver?  It's a Danish pan for making small, round, filled pancakes.

Happy me!  That is until I decided to make them for our usual Saturday breakfast.  At our house, breakfast is eaten at 6:30AM.

These pancakes are made with a traditional recipe that includes separating and whipping the egg whites.  The butter is melted.  This means that, including the pancake filling, four bowls are used in preparing this recipe.  Four!  At 6 in the morning!  Was I crazy?  You decide.
Look at these beauties!  We like ours crisp, so that's how I made them.  The outer shell hot and crisp and the inside soft and sweet and warm.  Filled with finely chopped apples and cinnamon. 
Pour on a lttle maple syrup and enjoy.  We certainly did.  But next time, we'll do brunch.

8 comments:

  1. How fun! I came thiiiiis close to ordering one of those pans, but didn't. I think the separating of eggs early in the morning would do me in! The finished aebelskiver look fantastic, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fabulous! Now I want one of those pans. But definitely now for a 6:30 breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ebelskiver pan! I have one too, but it's not used nearly enough around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brunch is good! 6 AM doesn't exist in my house. I had an ebelskiver pan years ago, I too like the outer shell to be on the crisp side. What a fun treat! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been curious about these for a long time. Apples sound wonderful. 4 pans--not so much. I'm with you. Good brunch or maybe a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had one of these but filled like that has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound wonderful! I love apples and cinnamon. I have seen these pans and wondered about them - it sounds like they are a good investment! Thank you for linking your recipe to Let's Do Brunch - please can I ask you to link back somewhere in your post - something like "shared with Let's Do Brunch" with a link to either Chaya's site or mine, depending on where you linked to? Hope you will come along and join in with Let's Do Brunch again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making these. Got my pan and had to make them immediately. I would make these every morning if I could.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.