Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TWD - Honey Nut Brownies

First of all, please notice that it is Spring in Toronto and my Witch Hazel is in bloom.  It's always the first plant to bud, usually while there is still snow on the ground.  No snow this year.

As you can see, the whole centre of my brownies was very gooey.  Instead of using an 9" pan, I grabbed my 8" springform.  I gave the brownies 70 minutes - an extra 20 minutes -  and still the centre was underdone.  I shouldn't have been so impatient.  But you know how it is when you're waiting to eat brownies.

Even the gooey bits were delicious!  I loved the not-overly-chocolate flavour, balanced with the honey.  I used pecans which floated to the top, giving the brownies a sweet top crust like a chocolate pecan tart. 

I want to make this recipe again sometime, if only to prove that I can do it right.  I also think there's an audience for a less chocolately brownie.

This recipe was chosen by Suzy and can be found on her blog My Suzy Homemaker

18 comments:

  1. I love the gooey look to the center-and the pecans floating to the top sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet these were even better having not been baked all the way! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pecans on top not only sound fabulous but looks cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you found the secret of success. Take the brownies out earler and you get the gooey middle which I would love.

    Your unintentional pecan crust is a bonus. Sounds to me like yours was a winner and if I made these again, I would learn from you and bake them for less time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gooey is always good in brownies, right? I think these were good, but not my favorite "brownie." I thought of them more as cake. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I baked mine longer and still they didn't bake up right. I thought they would just be gooey but they were something else: kind of soggy while cakey at the same time. Oh well, I love baking with honey so I was glad to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right that there is an audience for less-chocolatey brownies and these certainly have a unique flavor. My husband asked what spices I used and was surprised that the flavor all comes from the honey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were surprisingly tasty! Mine were pretty thin, which is why they baked through I think. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the gooey look of it! We didn't really enjoy them much, but at least I gave it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Pamela - I would've loved for mine to be a little more gooey! Great looking slice you've got there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great - I want to dig in with a fork right now! I used pecans too, which floated to the top. I noticed others who used walnuts and they didn't...is it something about pecans?

    ReplyDelete
  12. great minds! i did mine in a round pan too!
    Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your brownie looks lovely, as does the garden - happy spring! Glad they were such a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww spring time I can't wait! Your brownies look wonderful! Im glad you enjoyed them. Pecans sound good, I used walnuts!
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These brownies look divine!

    I also thought I'd mention a contest that Redpath Sugar is having right now. We're looking for the best pie recipe! and you can win a chance to have your pie featured for a week at a local Toronto bakery!

    Check out details on our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/redpathsugar

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree...there is room in my heart for all kinds of brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Spring! I hope some of that nice weather arrives here soon :) Glad the brownies were a hit there! I definitely prefer a more chocolatey brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually I love gooey center brownies. so these look perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.