Monday, April 4, 2011

TWD - Strawberry Ice Cream Tart

Is there any better tonic than pie?  So many things have gone wrong recently - I dropped my camera, my almost empty house is full again and winter just won't let go.  Pie seemed like just the balm I needed.

If there's one crucial skill I take away from these years of working through Dorie Greenspan's book Baking from my home to yours, it's the ability to make great pie crust.  Her Good For Almost Everything Pie Dough and her Sweet Tart Dough are second to none.  So, I was very pleased to see that this week's pie recipe included a crust I hadn't made.

The ice cream filling sits in an almond crust, using crushed almonds, flour and butter.  With the addition of an egg, I found it very hard to work with.  It smeared, it globbed, it wouldn't behave.  After eating the frozen pie, I realize I should have been more ruthless and spread the crust very thin.  Live and learn.

For the filling, I used strawberry goat's milk ice cream from Hewitt's Dairy.  I love the light texture and true flavour of Hewitt's.  It saved the day.

Thanks to Jessica at Domestic Deep Thought for choosing this recipe!

13 comments:

  1. Hedy, your strawberry tart looks so inviting - you have me wanting to run out for that ice-cream. My crust did the same as yours after the egg was added, So I just added a ton more flour so that it resembled dough rather than a horrid mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry-Almond sounds delicious!! Thanks for baking with me this week! And you're right, Dorie knows her pie crusts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sometimes you have to be ruthless when baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE almond in everything! Your pie sounds uh-mazing! Your choice of strawberry ice cream sounds delish, too! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your combination looks light and springy. I need spring, we have snow in the forcast this week. Hope your week is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The strawberry ice creams looks perfect for spring. I didn't get a chance to make this week's recipe so I'll try to remember your tip about the crust needing to be thin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ice cream filling sounds amazing! Sorry the crust was difficult to work with but hopefully, it still made you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This icecream makes me long for a hot summer day! It looks sooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curious about the crust. I didn't have any problems with it at all. I do like your choice of strawberry ice cream -- sounds nice and summery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I skipped this one and did a re-wind but your ice cream sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about newly-aquired pie skills. Your ice cream pie looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pie makes all things better. That is one beautiful pie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have the best recipes. I would love this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.