Tuesday, May 31, 2011

TWD - Caramel Pots de Creme, Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones & La Palette's Strawberry Pie

I'm here!  What - you thought I wouldn't turn up for pudding?  Today I'm posting three desserts, each one simple to make and satisfying to eat.  The first, pots de creme, was chosen by the wonderful blogger Peggy of Peggy the Baker.  I made this as part of a leftover night.  It was a delicious reward for helping to clear out the fridge.

I think a baked pudding is much easier to prepare than one that must be constantly whisked over stovetop heat to a certain temperature.  Mix, bake, cool on the racks.  Simple.  Everyone agreed that at room temperature the eggy goodness of this dessert really shone. 


Last week's recipe was the choice of Patricia of the blog Life With a Whisk.
This recipe is a great basis for many healthy breakfast treats.  I made the banana variation of these yummy scones.  As well, I used half whole wheat flour.  Next time - and there well definitely be a next time - I'll throw in some chia seeds and whatever other grains I've got. 

This recipe called La Palette's Strawberry Pie was originally chosen by Marie of the blog A Year from Oak Cottage.  If you've never been to Marie's blog, where have you been?  She's a wonderful writer who always shares interesting thoughts, photos and so many recipes.

This may be my go-to summer pie recipe.  It starts with Dorie's Sweet Tart Dough, fully baked and cooled.  When you are ready to serve dessert, you cut as many slices of pie crust as you are going to serve, spread a generous amount of good strawberry jam on each slice, then top with strawberries (which I macerated in a little agave and creme de cassis).  Is there a simpler pie? 

Along with the pie I served Lemongrass Ice Cream.  It had such a delicate flavour.  Here's the recipe:

Lemongrass Ice Cream
This recipe was adapted from The Ice Cream Fellow

1 cup whole milk
1 cup cream
½ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 cup of chopped fresh lemongrass (100 grams by weight)

1. Peel the outer two or three leaves of the lemongrass. Chop off and discard the ends so the remaining stalks are around 8 inches in length. Bruise the stalks by crushing them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer. You can also use the flat side of a chef’s knife and your hand to do this (just as if you were crushing a garlic clove).
2. Place the milk and the lemongrass in a blender and blend to finely chop the lemongrass.
3. Place the milk, lemongrass, and cream into a saucepan. Bring to a bare simmer. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes so the lemongrass can infuse its flavor with the dairy products.
4. Return the saucepan to the heat after 30 minutes steeping time and as it reheats, quickly mix the eggs and sugar.
5. You know the drill from here. Once the dairy is warm again, slowly add some of it to the eggs. Once the eggs are tempered, add them to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly until the thermometer reads 175 degrees F.
6. Remove the custard from the heat, strain it into a bowl. Be sure to press the excess dairy out of the lemongrass in the strainer. Cool the mix to room temperature then chill it overnight. The next day, freeze it in your ice cream machine.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! They all look delicious. I'm intrigued by the lemon grass ice cream. It has to be yummy. The scones were excellent. I still have to make the Caramel Pots de Creme. Wow, so many excellent choices. Glad your back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A whole lot of baking going on for you this week! Love the beautiful pots de creme--is that shaved chocolate on top? Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I'm heading over to your house! All the goodies look delicious -- it would be difficult to choose which to eat first. I had forgotten about the strawberry pie -- it seems so long ago now -- but fresh berries are still available here, so that might show up on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a spread! Everything looks fantastic - especially the ice cream, as I am a fanatic. Copying the recipe.....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three for one, awesome! I love that you made the pots de creme for a leftover night. I always feel that a boring dinner should be rewarded with a great dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three gorgeous desserts here - and I so envy your wonderful sunny photos in your garden. This morning it was 3 degrees Celsius here - I know, balmy for a Canadian winter, but I am a Queensland girl, so for me that is freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. everything sounds wonderful! I've always wanted to try that strawberry recipe...maybe this summer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ended up trying the plastic wrap, when I knew I shouldn't and it melted all over my pdc's. sigh
    And I loved the scones with apricots and pecans, but I'm a banana lover and will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could make do living on all three of those. Lemongrass ice cream sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for ice cream recipes! Actually, everything looks amazing. You picked some great rewinds. And your pot de creme looks so festive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.