Tuesday, September 6, 2011

TWD - Chocolate Spice Quickies and More!

Today's recipe was chosen by Jessica of My Baking Heart.  Please check out her blog for the recipe.  This is one you will want to make again.  In fact, as soon as I get time, I'm going to make a couple dough logs and freeze them just to have on hand.

Everyone who tasted them, fell in love with these cookies.  By "in love" I mean couldn't keep their hands off the plate.  The flavour delicately balances chocolate, spice and almond.
Here, I've paired the cookie with the last of my Creamy Dark Chocolate Sorbet.  That was a recipe chosen earlier in the summer by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon.  This being my first sorbet, I was very surprised by the creamy texture.  Delicious and so easy to put together.

Last week's recipe, Cornmeal and Fruit Loaf, was the pick of Caitin from Engineer Baker.  I love anything with cornmeal, so this recipe had me at hello.  I liked the density of the added grated apples - I omitted any dried fruit.  The bread made a lovely morning toast with a slight spread of jam.
Lastly, my favourite recipe of the summer was Carrot Spice Muffins, the choice of Nancy at The Dog Eats The Crumbs.   I made this several times over the summer and will continue to make it until my family cries "uncle".  To me, this is the perfect breakfast muffin.  Dense, filling and not too sweet, if you don't count the drizzle.  I substituted a half cup of rolled oats for the coconut and ws generous with the currants and walnuts.

16 comments:

  1. Such a delicious post! :) Thanks for baking along with me this week, Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep!! They all look perfect. While I wasn't a fan of the cookies the muffins and cornmeal loaf were hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I forgot about TWD this week. Looks like a cookie I would love. I'll try it soon. Loved the cornmeal loaf but I like cornmeal.
    Hope you have had a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that chocolate sorbet on my to-make list. Sounds like a great pairing with these cookies, so I think I'll stash a roll in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your carrot spice muffins look delicious! (I wish I had not skipped that recipe).
    I love your cookies too! The specks of almonds are making me hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so delicious!!!!! Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy baking! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy baker!!! Everything looks fabulous - especially those muffins! Glad you enjoyed making and tasting everything - it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite the catch up post! I liked these cookies, but I thought they needed a little something.... more. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you went on a tear! Fun to see them all lined up like this, though. Each one looks just perfect. I am, however, missing the flowers in 3 of your post, so don't think I didn't notice. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great looking cookies! Your pics of the bread makes me want to go bake it right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If there would have been a picture in the book, your cookies are what I imagined. I love your catch up posts! Sometimes that's just how it's gotta be done, huh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been very busy baking. Everything looks delicious! I didn't get to make the chocolate sorbet or carrot spice muffins, but put that on my list. The sorbet looks great with the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, those spice muffins look divine!
    Also like the combo of ice cream with the choc. spice cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've had a lot of good recipes this summer! I like your idea of subbing oats for coconut. I'd forgotten how good that sorbet was - must make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe how much the cornmeal and fruit loaf looks like turkey meatloaf. Now I want turkey meatloaf followed by some shortbread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.