Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TWD - Cocoa Salt and Pepper Shortbread

This week's recipe was chosen by Tia of the amazing blog Buttercream Barbie.  Go there.  You will need this recipe.  Like good shortbread, it's not dominated by sugar.  Instead, the sweet is balanced with two bitters - cocoa and pepper.  It's a delicious, mature cookie.  I could eat a plateful.  I certainly tried.

When Dorie suggested, in her recipe, to flatten the dough into a rectangle and then roll it into a log, I thought this was the perfect fix for a very sticky batter.  She even advised that you make sure the log is solid, so you are not left with a hole in the centre.

Well, I prefer to think of it as a dimple.
Now, don't sit around navel-gazing.  Go over to Buttercream Barbie and try out this recipe.



13 comments:

  1. Everyone loves a dimple, they always make one smile, don't they? That and your lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd share a plate of these with you any day... I was pleasantly surprised with this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even baked these yet and I love the recipe! I have a feeling I'll end up with a few dimples too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Hehe - dimples ;-) Did you get my e-mail? If not, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who can resist dimpled cookies?
    I think they look adorable! (It took me a few re-rolls to get it right, I finally just gave up and crossed my fingers). :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. yours look so good!!! great texture. thanks for baking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, I'll make it soon. Sometimes life gets in the way of good cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dimple is much better than Hole in the Center!! They do look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine had a bit of a hole in the center, too, but they tasted really good.I liked these more than I thought that I would.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL to navel-gazing :) I could've eaten the entire plate of these cookies too, they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, they were a mature cookie, apparently, since my kids both turned up their noses at them.

    Cute little dimple...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could dangerously eat a plateful, too. LOVE the dimple cookie! I drizzled mine with melted chocolate. Loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a cute dimple :)
    And they are too easy to eat! I ate all but six of the batch...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.