Tuesday, September 27, 2011

TWD - Flip Over Fig Cake

With the bounty of ripe fruit now available, how does anyone decide what to use in this recipe.  Luckily, you don't have to.  I've made this cake with a variety of stone fruit and it always tastes great.  I've even thrown unpeeled sliced apples into the fruit mix. 

This week, I bought a case of figs and made a couple of different desserts.  For the Flip Over Cake I was concerned that the fruit wouldn't soften, so I poached it in a mixture of butter and sugar with a splash of port.  Then I carefully spooned them into the batter.
Other than the eating, this is my favourite moment in the cake.  The half cup of butter has been melted sizzling hot in the pyrex dish.  I add the batter and it immediately starts to cook and form a lovely buttery crisp crust up the sides of the dish.

Please go over to Becky's blog Project Domestication where she will have the recipe up later today.  This is an easy must-have recipe. 
With the rest of the figs I made a variation on Dorie's Cranberry Upside-downer.  I love the coffee cake-like texture of this recipe.

Cranberry Upside-Downer
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup minus 2 TBSP sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 cups cranberries-fresh or frozen(if frozen, do not thaw) I used  8 fresh figs cut into quarters.
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 whole milk
1/3 cup red currant jelly, for glazing the cake
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Put a 8X2 inch round cake pan on a baking sheet.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Melt 6 TBSP of the butter in a small saucepan. Sprinkle in 6 TBSP of the sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour this evenly over the bottom of the cake pan, then scatter over the nuts and top with the cranberries, smoothing the layer and pressing it down gently with your fingertips. Set aside.
Working with a stand mixer, preferabley fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the remaining stick of butter on medium speed until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to beat until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed. Pour in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Mix in the milk, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Spoon the batter over the cranberries and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove it from the oven and run a blunt knife between the sides of the pan and the cake. Carefully turn the cake out onto a serving platter. If any of the berries stick to the pan-as they might-just scrape them off with a table knife and return them to the cake.
Warm the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat, or do this in a microwave oven. Gently brush the glaze over the hot cake.





10 comments:

  1. Your fig cake and your cranberry upside downer both look delightful - I would have to have a piece of both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember really liking the cranberry upside downer. nice that you used figs! they are the one fruit i have nto baked with yet. I couldn't do twd this week - traveling in NY! great job though :)

    Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to cook with figs but I hadn't cooked with plums either. This was one surpisingly delicious dessert. We loved it!
    I also loved that cranberry upside downer! So many wonderful recipes from Dorie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what lovely cakes! I could dive right in to both of them!
    Happy Fall Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fig version is so inspired, I love it! I just baked with fresh figs for the first time last week and loved them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fun idea to use figs for this cake! I can't think of a fruit it wouldn't work with!
    And the cranberry upside downer--yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those both look amazing! I have never cooked with fresh figs. I may have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought about cherries. I though about apricots. I thought about peaches. But figues... what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These both look delicious, and so does your honey cake!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.