Monday, October 17, 2011

TWD - Ginger-Jazzed Brownies and More!

Isn't this the perfect brownie, set against the fall asters?  I'm thrilled to be once again hosting a recipe for our wonderful group Tuesdays With Dorie.  I'm mere days away from my three year anniversary as a member of the "Dorie Bakers".  So much happens in three years.  I'm so pleased that I've kept up the blog and, more, that I've challenged myself to learn so many recipes and techniques.

Not too many challenges today.  This is a great brownie recipe with or without the ginger.  I was worried when I first took it out of the oven.  It looked very cake-y.
Happily, it cooled to a familiar gooey texture.  Overnight, the ginger flavour grew to almost too much for my tastes.  Actually, there weren't many left the next day, so it didn't really matter.  Here's another photo.  This one surrounded by an odd, but lovely fall flower called Turtlehead.
I had one problem with this recipe.  Both times I made it, it took an hour to properly bake.  What did everyone else find? 

Here's my tip for melting chocolate in a microwave:  For every three ounces of chocolate, add one tablespoon of water to the bowl.  Then microwave on 70% setting.

Enjoy the recipe!

Ginger-Jazzed Brownies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp finely minced peeled fresh ginger
1 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces bittersweet, chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Getting Ready:  Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line a 9-inch square pan with foil, butter the foil and place the pan on a baking sheet.
Whisk the flour, salt and ground ginger together.
Put the minced fresh ginger and 1 1/2 tbsp of the sugar in a small bowl, stir and set aside.  (If you do this a day ahead, cover the bowl with plastic wrap; if you do it several days ahead, cover and refrigerate.)
Melt the chocolates in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, or melt them in a microwave oven; keep the heat low so the chocolates do not get very hot.  Set aside to cool.
Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until it is smooth and creamy.  Beat in the corn syrup, then the remaining 1 cup sugar, and continue to beat for another 2 minutes or so, until the butter is smooth again and the sugar is incorporated.  Add the vanilla.  On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each one goes in and scraping the bowl down as needed.  Beat for 1 minute more, then reduce the mixer speed to low and add the macerated ginger (and any liquid), then the dry ingredients, mixing only until the flour disappears.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and, using a rubber spatula, gently and thoroughly stir in the melted chocolate.  Scrape the batter into the pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minute, or until the top forms an even sugar crust; a thin knife inserted into the center of the brownies should have streaks of moist, fudgy chocolate on it.  Transfer the pan to a rack and cool to room temperature.
When the brownies are completely cool, turn out onto a rack, peel away the foil and invert onto a cutting board.  Cut into 16 squares, each roughly 2 1/4 inches on a side.

I'm also using this post to do some catching up from earlier this month.  Two weeks ago Katrina of Baking and Boys! chose Apple Nut Muffin Cake.  I turned it back into muffins and the result was awesome.  I added pecans and currants and used half whole wheat flour and they were gone in a flash.  I'll make these again soon.
Last week Jennifer of Cooking For Comfort chose Basic Biscuits.  A light hand brings a delicious result.  Is my biscuit grimacing?
Cheers, all!  I can't wait to read your posts.

16 comments:

  1. Way to catch up on recipes! Thanks for hosting this week! Nothing better then a cakey chocolatey brownie! I love your pictures and really love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. So many yummy treats. I still need to make the ginger brownies, I do love ginger so I'm sure they will be a hit. Great choice.
    Love the biscuits and the apple cake was also yummy. Dorie just has one winner after another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine stayed cakey, but they were good anyway! thanks for the pick. a grimacing biscuit--sounds like something for halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting and for an interesting and yummy recipe although, I had to cut back on the ginger because I had grandchildren over. I want to make it again with added ginger and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, they look lovely, lovely, just beautiful!! The asters and the turtleheads, of course! You didn't really think I was going to say that about chocolate did you? LOL...your brownies look wonderful, my husband declared them Excellent and thanks you very much. I'm going to miss seeing all the flowers if you stop blogging after TWD concludes. Yes, I am. Thanks for the pick, for without people like you, Mark would be forced to score all his chocolate on the streets. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious! Love the pick this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious assortment of treats all in one post! Your brownies look especially decadent. Great pick for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post: flowers, helpful tips, brownies! Thanks for the great pick - still good recipes to be had. (btw, Kayte was not the biscuit hostess last week....)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine took longer, too. The brownie-top looks perfectly cracky! Thanks for chosing this interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab choice, Clivia! Mine took much longer than stated, but I loved the fudgy, gooey center. Your brownies look beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm a novice baker and am not sure i understand the amount of flour that goes in... could you clarify the measurement for me please? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lesa, I corrected the flour to read 3/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great brownies and beautiful flowers! Thanks for this week's pick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look really good! I'm not a huge chocolate eater, but I love ginger, and I bet it really added some snap to these brownies. Your flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look fantastic, especially with the flower backdrop! I have learned that the baking times in BFMHTY are really just a suggestion for me - usually, I have to bake things for shorter periods of time or they burn. Every now and then I find a recipe that needs longer time. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.