Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy Bundt Cake Day!

I'm celebrating National Bundt Cake Day.  It's an American holiday, but if there ever was one that transcended national boundaries, it's this.  In the baking blogosphere the standard-bearer of this day is Mary the Food Librarian.  In her third annual culinary feat, Mary has produced I Like Big Bundts 3 - 30 Days of Bundt Cakes.

My small offering to this joyous event is Lemon Yogurt Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze and Caramel Sauce.

This recipe comes from Canadian master chef and baker Bonnie Stern.  Her cookbook Friday Night Dinners is a culinary world tour that satisfy all tastes.  She offers this cake as a finale to a Greek dinner, so, of course, I used Greek yogurt and baked the cake about 6 minutes longer.

If you do make this one - Don't Skip The Caramel Sauce.  Trust me.  Lemon and caramel are the new pb&j.
Congrats again to Mary for creating 30 of the most amazing bundts cakes you've ever seen.  Please go to her blog The Food Librarian and enjoy!

Lemon Yogurt Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze and Caramel Sauce
3/4 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla paste or pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp grated lemon peel
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of kosher salt
1 cup yogurt or buttermilk

Lemon Glaze
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar

Caramel Sauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup whipping cream

1. In a large bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Beat in vanilla and lemon peel.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add flour to butter mixture alternating with yogurt in three or four additions, beginning and ending with flour.  After each addition, stir until just combined.
4. Spoon batter into well greased bundt pan.  Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean.
5. Cool pan for 10 minutes.  Loosen cake around edges, remove from pan and transfer to a rack.
6. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and icing sugar.  Mixture should be runny.  When cake is cool, drizzle glaze over cake.
Serve with Caramel Sauce.

To make Caramel Sauce:
In a large saucepan, stir sugar and water over medium-high heat until sugar comes to a boil.  Brush any sugar down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water.  Cook without stirring for 6-8 minutes or until caramel turns deep golden.  Remove from heat and carefully add whipping cream.  Stir gently until smooth.  Cool.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm. Time to dust off the Bundt pan...which has been shuffled to the back of the baking cupboard over the years. This looks very yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so many desserts in the house and no one to feed them to I had to skip NBD this year. My loss. Your bundt looks/sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, My Goodness but that looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Bundt Day to you too! I wouldn't miss that caramel sauce for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do love bundt cakes! How did I miss Mary's 30 days of bundts this year?? I'll have to go check them out. I've made several of her recipes with great success.
    Your cake looks delish. Lemon and caramel...I'm game.
    I just got a new heart shaped bundt pan. Can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really delicious! I don't think I've ever had lemon and caramel together before, but it sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one skinny slice of bundt, you saucy wench.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.