Tuesday, November 1, 2011

TWD - Far Breton, Honey Nut Scones, A Fig Cake for Fall

It's hard to believe but after three years we have almost completed all the recipes in Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: from my home to yours.  This month we have doubled up on recipes to make a final push through the book.

But first, last week's recipe was A Fig Cake For Fall.  This is a lovely and not-too-sweet cake made with cornmeal.  I think a finer grain of cornmeal than the one I used would have prevented it from drying out the next day.  Instead of figs, I stewed Italian plums in port.  They were delicious and provided a great syrup.  It was chosen by Alvarosa of the blog Cookie Rookie.
 Next up is Honey Nut Scones.  I took Nancy's suggestion and scored, then froze it and baked it the next morning as one large piece.  This photo doesn't do justice to how light and fluffy it turned out.  I baked it up on Saturday morning and it was quickly gone.  Sunday morning the family woke up disappointed that I hadn't baked another one.  Everyone can get the recipe over at Jeannette's blog The Whimsical Cupcake.
Lastly, this is a dessert called Far Breton.  It's a pudding-like cake, typically made with dried and stewed fruit.  I made mine with pecans (which floated), chocolate chips (which sunk to the bottom) and little clumps of cinnamon, brown sugar and butter (which dispersed nicely throughout the cake). 
To me it tasted like a pecan pie but with eggy custard where there should be treacle.  My tastebuds were confused and not satisfied, but the family loved it.
Try it for yourself.  The recipe is at Nicole's blog Cookies on Friday.

11 comments:

  1. What a delicious assortment of TWD desserts! I love the ingredients that you used in the far Breton, it looks incredibly rich...I kind of wish I could grab a forkful through the screen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so tasty and beautiful! I love your scones and the Far Benton really intriques me. I did not make it but want to after seein your chocolate chip version! I love the pecans too!
    I can't believe TWD is coming to an end soon. I am glad we get to keep baking though! I will miss this cookbook, but I still have a lot of recipes to make in it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks good. I love what you added to your Far Breton. Wish I had done that since I don't care for prunes. I left them out altogether and just did raisens. . .wondering if that is why it fell!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to see all these together. I really enjoyed the scones and need to try the scoring method.

    I am making the Far Breton tonight for some friends, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! A wonderful assortment of delicious TWD goodies. I can't wait to make the Breton after looking at yours....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, i can't believe you found time to bake all three!! i couldn't even muster up two this week LOL. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the scones, thanks for baking with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you've been busy! You must have a happy, well feed family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this week but the scones are a must make. Tis the season for lots of my kids and grandkids visiting. It's so nice to have some frozen scone dough that you can pop in the oven a few minutes before the hungry guests hit the kitchen. Scones are always a welcome treat.
    All of your desserts look yummy, I could just come to your house for a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Italian plum cake with all the oozy sauce looks devine. I liked the scones too - they had a nice flavour from the brown flour. The far bretin tasted delicious, but like you, I found it had a mind of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. zNow THAT's a Breton I would love. I wanted to make it but am not a stewed fruit lover and not creative enough to come up with YOUR ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

    The fig cake and scones also look GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks amazing. I love the idea of using plums in port for the fig cake - although I think we have hit our stewed fruit limit around here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.